15 January 2007
  Week 1; 15 January
I forgot to wish you all a Happy New Year!

I hope that those of you who couldn't make it will be able to catch up a little through this stuff.

Do note that if we take a half-term break as planned, we have a maximum of 11 weeks for this module; it's not much, so try not to miss sessions if you can avoid it.

So what did we do? First, we went through the module outcomes, and I tried to explain the jargony bits, and to clarify the best strategies for the assessment. In so doing, we touched on a number of topics which we shall consider later in more detail, so they will not be referenced here, yet.

We also looked at the default schedule for the module (see the side-bar on the right for that) and I explained why I shall be disappointed if we keep to it. Actually, that's OK, because we have deviated already...

All of that got a little heavy-going, so we took a break, and instead of going through the reading list, as I had planned, we first set up the "stimuli" exercise.
Don't panic! If you were not present, that does not mean that you missed out on your only chance to contribute. You can see in the links above that there are a number of topics so far unclaimed, and there are also several dates on which you can present, so all is not lost! Have a word with me as soon as you can.

And having done that, we got stuck in to some of the module content. (Participating in an FE course last year as an ordinary student, I was amazed that out of our first three-hour session, almost a full hour was taken up with a clearly bored lecturer ploughing through "housekeeping" stuff, because she had to tick the boxes. However, she well understood that if she had even let us go for our comfort break without some sense of engaging with the substantive content of the course, half of us would not have returned.)

We did the "What is Learned?" exercise. Your results together with brief and selective notes can be found here.
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





Home

Click here to go to main course site BREO (VLE) Log-inDownloadsProgramme Blog Default schedule for the module and exercise briefing Click on "comments" at the bottom of any post to add your own ideas, questions and reactions Contact James

Click to go to the Learning and Teaching site

Archives
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]