26 February 2007
  Gestalt and the brain's intolerance of non-sense
Many thanks to Clare and Mary for their stimuli this afternoon!

For all the jokes, Clare gave us a thoughtful piece, which will be filled out next week when we discuss the nature of "intelligence".

There was a lot of material in Mary's contribution which deserves more detailed attention than she was able to give it in the time. Go to http://www.brainsource.com/amazing%20brain.htm for an accessible introduction to it.

Cognitive Theories

For general links see:
Gestalt
A number of the slides were concerned with visual illusions; R L Gregory is the chief authority on them, and some can be seen in video format here (including the mask illusion);
The movies on Betty the Crow's use of tools can be found at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kgroup/tools/movies.shtml and a write-up at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2178920.stm
  • My apologies for misleading information; I had located "New Caledonia" as the Eastern seaboard of Canada. In fact it is a group of islands in the Pacific 1,200 km east of Australia. (I wasn't far out!)
On chimps' sophisticated use of tools; http://www.world-science.net/othernews/041108_chimptoolfrm.htm

On Piaget's mechanisms of adaptation; assimilation and accommodation, see http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/assimacc.htm

Some people asked for copies of the mind-maps from the presentation; since the presentation itself is quite fun, I have up-loaded (almost) the whole thing to http://www.esnips.com/web/mod2tlp/ where it is on general access (sorry, I have had to re-save some of the images in a more compressed format to save space). I could have saved it to BREO, of course, but as I mentioned earlier, I am looking at DIY VLEs; more on them in a week or two.

Looking forward to stimuli next week from;
  • Jess; on basic ed. tech.
  • Kevin; Is ICT cost effective?
  • Neil; What is a "plenary"?
Have a good week!
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





Home

Click here to go to main course site BREO (VLE) Log-inDownloadsProgramme Blog Default schedule for the module and exercise briefing Click on "comments" at the bottom of any post to add your own ideas, questions and reactions Contact James

Click to go to the Learning and Teaching site

Archives
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]