29 January 2010
  27 January part 1; from Motivation to Memory
Please look at the previous post for pointers to reading for next week (sorry about that!). And apologies for losing the link to Dan Ariely's post... if I find it I will re-post.

And so to this Wednesday. We started with the Reading Groups, having their first proper meeting. I was impressed by the level of the discussion as I went round, and I was only half-joking when I commented that you don't need me. That is as things should be, of course; I hope the groups will continue to develop as they have done so far.

Each of the groups came back with one interesting point and one question;


I had to postpone addressing some of these items, but they will come up naturally as we go along. It was the red question, however, which linked naturally into the flow of the session.

I had asked you last week to come up with some hygiene factors relating to your own teaching; here are my cryptic notes about some of those you identified;


It is difficult to motivate a whole group (perhaps one reason why team sports managers and coaches command such obnoxious salaries) but the first stage is to reduce the de-motivating factors.

But the other premise of the question was that motivation is individual. Yes and no. We turned to Maslow--couldn't avoid him any longer. See http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/motivation.htm#Levels%20of%20Motivation, and discussed how the lower levels of the hierarchy tend to be common, whereas the higher levels are more differentiated between people. (It's a similar pattern to that of skill levels, see http://www.doceo.co.uk/background/expertise.htm .)

(This led us --or at least, me-- into a digression on the form of the Maslow model and other "epigenetic" models, and I bored you rigid for a few minutes on my "hierarchy of concerns in residential care" which can be found here. Note that in the last few years, "epigenetic" has come to have a different meaning within genetics itself...)

We moved on to explore stress and motivation, (see http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/motivanx.htm and Reversal Theory )

 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





Home

Click here to go to main course site BREO (VLE) Log-inDownloadsProgramme Blog Default schedule for the module and exercise briefing Click on "comments" at the bottom of any post to add your own ideas, questions and reactions Contact James

Click to go to the Learning and Teaching site

Archives
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]