24 March 2010
  24 March--Evidence-based Practice and Learning by Experience
It's simple today!

Evidence-based practice; the main page with links is http://www.learningandteaching.info/teaching/what_works.htm
  • The link to Hattie on special education is the first reference in the list at the end.
  • You can download the Marzano report from the second reference.
  • Hattie J (2009) Visible learning: a synthesis of over 800 meta-analyses relating to achievement London; Routledge, is accessible as an e-book from the library (it's no good giving the url because it is of course password protected) as well as a physical text. The full text engages with some (but not all) of the "drill-down" issues we discussed.
Learning by experience; For Kolb see http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/experience.htm

(Yellow boxes label "stages in the process", green ones "potential outcomes")


...and Phil Race's "Ripples" model presentation can be downloaded from here; http://phil-race.co.uk/?page_id=13

I was struck by how all three models rung bells with different people in the group, according to their practice; that is in the nature of selective attempts to model complex phenomena.

Let me underline that I am not expecting people to produce submissions which support my views; feel free to argue, as long as your ideas are supported by evidence and reading.

Other points mentioned;
  • the Kirkpatrick model (tm and all that b-s). The "official" site is at http://www.kirkpatrickpartners.com/ which tells you how corporate it is. But I'm happy to say that Alan Chapman's site trumps it on Google at http://www.businessballs.com/kirkpatricklearningevaluationmodel.htm
Next week--loose ends etc., so no particular advance reading; just bring your queries about what has not been clear ("everything" or "nothing" are not acceptable answers!). Email me with submission proposals and/or requests for tutorials. I can be in on Wednesday afternoons after Easter, but I won't routinely come in unless someone has booked in to see me--I am retired after all!

Keep checking here; if anything of potentially general interest comes up, I'll post it.
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





Home

Click here to go to main course site BREO (VLE) Log-inDownloadsProgramme Blog Default schedule for the module and exercise briefing Click on "comments" at the bottom of any post to add your own ideas, questions and reactions Contact James

Click to go to the Learning and Teaching site

Archives
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]